Larkhill Camp began on 12 August 1914, and completed in early 1915,
was designated as the School of Instruction for Royal Horse and
Field Artillery (Larkhill).
Towards the end of the war, it would have had a population of approximately
20,000 soldiers as it contained 34 camps each training a battalion
of 600-800 men.
Larkhill received large contingents of soldiers from Australia
and Canada for training before being sent to France.
Major Clarke gave us an extensive tour of the camp pointing out
buildings and features dating from that period.
Major Bill Clarke and Liz Walton
discussing the history of Larkhill camp
First World War stables at Larkhill.
Horses and mules were the predominant motive power within the camp,
as can be seen in the picture below.
The stables on the left, typical of buildings of the period, were
built to house them and are still in use today although their days
are now numbered.
These are located near a coal depot on the, now dismantled, light
railway from Amesbury.